Serenity Ketamine Center is a results-oriented institution dedicated to improving your health and well-being. With 23 years of experience treating seriously ill patients and those with depression and substance use disorder, Dr. Gharakhani strives to provide his patients with the best and up-to-date care possible.
We recognize that depression, chronic pain, alcohol and substance dependence can have devastating effects on an individual’s overall physical and emotional health. Unfortunately, these conditions also impact the well-being of their families. We are here to help.
Research and experience have shown that Ketamine is safe and holds great promise for the treatment of refractory depression, anxiety, chronic pain and as well as alcohol and substance dependence. We are here to provide care to those who have not received the optimal treatment for their condition.
It is our mission to walk beside you through your journey of recovery. We want you and your family to be active participants in your care, all the while knowing that we will be there every step of the way.
Located in Woodland Hills, the Serenity Ketamine is dedicated to providing patients with outstanding service and personalized care to make the entire treatment process as comfortable and pleasant as possible.
The process and what to expect
We understand that embarking on a new treatment plan can be daunting and anxiety provoking. It is our goal to make the process as easy as possible for you. We therefore want to delineate our intake process from the initial patient contact to the first infusion and subsequent follow up visits.
Step #1: Forms
There are several forms that we have provided in this website to gather the necessary information. The purpose of the requested forms is not to make the process more arduous that need be necessary, but to ensure that you are a good candidate for Ketamine treatment. The information you provide will help us to customize our treatment plan to fit your particular needs.
We have created two pathways for our initial contact and consultation:
- If you would prefer, you may request an initial consultation with us before you decide to continue on. You do not have to fill out any forms other than the initial general patient information form. You can either fill that online or in the office. Please contact us and we will be happy to meet with you and explain the process to you in person. We will provide you with all the forms that you will need for the subsequent consultation and if you decide to proceed with your first infusion treatment.
- If you prefer, you may download and fill out the forms provided on this site before the initial consultation. With the information you provide, we can discuss your underlying condition, current symptoms, your treatment so far and what you can expect with your first infusion.
Step #2: Initial consultation
An initial consultation with Dr. Gharakhani to discuss your particular medical needs and the infusion treatment.
Step #3: Psychiatric Clearance
We are able to medically clear most of our patients for treatment during the first consultation. However, depending on your particular condition a psychiatric consultation may be necessary before the first infusion. If you have your own psychiatrist, we will contact them for your records. If you do not we will refer you. This process is to ensure that you are a good candidate for the Ketamine treatment plan.
Step #4: Medical Clearance
Depending on your particular medical condition, you may also need to have a medical clearance before infusion can be initiated. For the most part, this can be done through our office but on occasion, you may need to see a specialist to ensure your safe treatment with Ketamine.
Step #5: infusion treatment #1
On your infusion day you may have a light meal prior to your treatment. We recommend comfortable clothing and music that you enjoy. Ideally, something soothing.
Please make arrangements for your trip to and from the clinic as you will not be able to drive yourself home.
Upon arrival you will be asked to fill out a preinfusion form prior to the treatment. You will be given an anti-nausea medication upon arrival to the center prior to the treatment.
For the first infusion, you will have an IV established and ketamine given to you over a 45 minute session. The side effects of ketamine usually dissipate rather quickly but you may feel a bit tired for several hours after the treatment. There is an approximate 15-30 minute observation time to ensure that you feel well enough to go home. However, you may take as much time as you need before your departure from the office. We would prefer that you have someone watch over you for several hours after the infusion although that is not mandatory.
You will need someone to drive you back home and you may not drive for 24 hours.
Step #6: The follow up
Because response to the treatment is variable, every patient will be asked to periodically fill out a brief “follow up” questionnaire via our secure website.
The follow up is designed to track your:
- Response to the treatment.
- To determine whether you are a good candidate for future treatments.
- To consider making adjustments to your current treatment protocol (Dosage and frequency) based on your response in order to optimize your treatment.
- For those who are non-responders to Ketamine, we will discuss other options available.
You can fill out the forms provided on this site before the initial consultation.